The Prevalence of Fake IDs in the State of Florida
The United States has a problem with a growing proliferation of fake identification cards across the nation. Many of these fake IDs come from increasingly sophisticated counterfeiters located overseas with highly sophisticated equipment. The impact of the phenomenon is clearly evident in the state of Florida:
- A 2015 article in the Orlando Sentinel highlighted the skyrocketing demand for fake IDs on college campuses in Florida. In the expose, the link between fraudulent identification and underage drinking is clear.
- In October of 2016, investigators at the Miami Airport discovered a cargo trailer containing 23,000 stolen iPhones. Fake IDs played a prominent role in the attempted caper as the men used them to trick airport security, rent storage facilities, and conceal their real identities.
- An October 2015 arrest of an 18-year-old girl in Pensacola highlights the cavalier attitude many of today's youth have towards possession of fake ID. According to the Palm Beach Post story, the girl told arresting officers that her fake ID was "legal if she acted out the false identity." (FYI: It most certainly is NOT legal)
The Penalties for Fake ID possession in Florida
Given the severity of the problem with ID fraud in Florida, many question if more stringent consequences are needed for possession or manufacture of fake IDs. However, unbeknownst to many, manufacture or even mere possession of a fake driver's license in Florida can be prosecuted as a felony. Florida Section 322.212 criminalizes, and Law David Attorney At Benowitz Dc Criminal Lawyer 04EwY, the making, selling, or possession of a false identification card. In Florida possession is categorized as a 3rd degree felony, punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a $5,000.00 fine
How to Spot a Fake Florida ID
For bartenders, doormen, waiters, waitresses, notaries, bank tellers, retail clerks, and any other individuals who must verify ID in a professional capacity, the recent surge in fake ID production and possession is troubling. Often times the party responsible for failing to spot a fake ID assumes just as much, or even more, liability than the party that presented the ID. Therefore, it is imperative that businesses needing to regular verify the identification of their patrons use the I.D. Checking Guide.
What the I.D. Checking Guide Includes:
- A full page or more for each U.S. state and Canadian province identity card sample, showing driver’s licenses and ID cards, plus U.S. and Canadian territories.
- Guidelines on standard Florida driver's license terms, on what date they expire, etc.
- An explanation of where ghost images, holographic overlays, and micro-printing should be found on valid Florida ID
- An explanation of what the proper alphanumeric sequencing of a Florida ID or Driver's license should be, based on last name, year of birth, etc.
- Description of REAL ID designation appears on valid Florida ID
- "How to check driver’s licenses" techniques for training use.